FILIPINO CUISINE BOOK TAG πŸŽ‡


    The most interesting part of doing this was trying to figure out why the food was chosen for that prompt. Lechon, problematic but still enjoyed? Valid. Pastillas are indeed sweet and light. But what's insightful about pinakbet? Is it because there's a lot of ingredients in it? 

    This tag was created by Louisity, check out their video here.

Adobo (All-Time Favorite) || The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

    This is a favorite more for sentimental reasons. It's a good book but it's a favorite because it really inspired me to write. It's not even the story itself that inspired me, it was the interview with the author included in the back. I read this in junior high and that was when I was writing so much. I filled up two notebooks and even posted a few on Facebook when they had the notes options (that's gone now which is both sad news and good news). Every time I need some motivation to write, I think about that author interview. 

Durian (Heard negative things but enjoyed) || Grisha verse by Leigh Bardugo

I'm going to go with a whole series for this one. I completely understand why people don't like it but I did lol. The first book was my least favorite and the second and third got better because of new characters. I know people are like "Nikolai's existence doesn't make up for how boring the books is" and I wholeheartedly disagree. Nikolai is everything and I don't Darklina, goodbye thank you.

Pastillas (Sweet/light/fluffy Read) || Dating Makes Perfect by Pintipp Dunn

    Whenever I think about books I've given 5 stars this year, this is always the first book that comes to mind. It's just so cute!! This is what I want every YA romcom to be!! It's definitely spoiled me because now I just want all YA contemporaries with a romantic plot line to be like this and that's just not the case.

Lechon (Maybe problematic but still enjoyed) || Trail of Lighting by Rebecca Roanhorse

    I didn't find out until after I've already read it but when I read the authors Wikipedia, I found out that Navajo/DinΓ© authors, scholars and activists said the book misrepresented Navajo teachings and spirituality. There's a larger discussion about how the author used sacred ceremonial traditions and Roanhorse's own heritage. 

Sinigang (Sour/awful character yet some folks love them) || 

    I genuinely can't think of any for this? The first one that came to mind was Kaz Brekker from the Six of Crows duology but he's more of a morally gray character than straight up awful. 

Kutsinta (Slow & sweet book) || Heartstopper by Alice Oseman 

    I don't know if this really counts as slow but it's definitely sweet. I reread it quite often on Webtoon and even reading just a few pages of the comic always cheers me up. Oh I've just thought of another one! "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz. 

Pinakbet (Book with many insight/ideas that you can learn from) || Challenge Everything by Blue Sandford

    The world is literally on fire and it's time that we all care about it. One thing that I've noticed from people who aren't concerned about the climate crisis is that they feel like there's no point in doing anything because it won't do anything. If we all changed even just one small part of our life whether it's not eating milk, changing the milk you drink (oat is the way to go and it's delicious), or volunteering for organizations fighting the climate crisis, the world would already be better off. I like this book because it's very readable and it doesn't shame you or scare you into making changes. It gives you facts while sharing some of the author's personal experiences. This is the youth guide so it's good for adults for are just starting to learn more about the climate crisis. 


iscelle robee

Comments

Popular Posts