CHILDHOOD MOVIES I STILL LOVE


In these trying times...a girl is struggling and that girl is everyone. Fall/winter is a tough time for me and I need all the feel good things to keep me going. Whether I sit down and take a break or just have them playing in the background while I work, these are movies that I've loved for years and bring me ✨ cozy ✨vibes.

Harriet the Spy (1998)

Harriet (Michelle Trachtenberg) may only be in the sixth grade, but she's already found her calling: to be a spy. In a private journal she takes everywhere, Harriet records suspicious activity and keeps a running list of observations on virtually everyone she knows. It seems harmless enough until, one day, someone finds the journal and exposes Harriet's critical thoughts about her classmates. Suddenly, even her best friends are against her, and Harriet resolves to take revenge.

    This movie truly shaped me as a child. This was the first time I was introduced to the concept of journaling and writing just for the sake of writing. This is probably where my love for that classic black and white composition notebook comes from. That bathroom scene where Harriet tore apart Marion and was like "Cause he doesn't love you" when talking about her dad? ICONIC

Ballet Shoes (2007)

Adopted by an eccentric explorer (Richard Griffiths), three orphans (Emma Watson, Yasmin Paige, Lucy Boynton) struggle to fulfill their ambitious dreams.

    I know about this movie because this is Emma Watson's first project outside of Harry Potter. I remember following news about filming and seeing pictures of the cast as they walked around in their costumes. I've read the book as well and planned on reading the companion books but haven't gotten around to them. I feel like this is a movie that suits the fall and winter season, something about it is very cozy. 

Penelope (2007)

Born with the snout of a pig, young Penelope Wilhern (Christina Ricci) spends life a virtual prisoner in her home. Believing that the only way to break the curse is to marry one of her own kind, she meets a number of suitors, but all reject her. Two devious men, one with a grudge against the family, hire a man (James McAvoy) to pose as a suitor, but complications arise when he begins to fall in love with Penelope, and she makes a bid for freedom.

    This movie is *chef's kiss* I love these types of movies. Modern fantasy where the fantasy aspect isn't questioned, it is what it is. And it's not too much fantasy. It's more of the whimsical type of fantasy. My favorite part of this is the romance. Penelope thinking that Johnny doesn't like her because of her nose and Johnny not even giving himself a chance to be with Penelope because he thinks she deserves better? I 👏🏼 LOVE 👏🏼 MUTUAL 👏🏼 PINING 👏🏼


Nanny McPhee (2005)
Widower Cedric Brown (Colin Firth) hires Nanny McPhee (Emma Thompson) to care for his seven rambunctious children, who have chased away all previous nannies. Taunted by Simon (Thomas Sangster) and his siblings, Nanny McPhee uses mystical powers to instill discipline. And when the children's great-aunt and benefactor, Lady Adelaide Stitch (Angela Lansbury), threatens to separate the kids, the family pulls together under the guidance of Nanny McPhee.

    Like I just said, I love whimsical movies! My family used to have a portable DVD player and this movie was constantly playing on that thing. I also really love that its a historical fiction. The Victorian England setting add to the overall whimsy feel of the movie.


iscelle robee

Comments

Popular Posts